This is my take on Bhelpuri. This is a cooked version, with less spices and a great way to empty that 4 pound bag of puffed rice you bought last year!
|Pori Upma / Murmur Kichidi|
- puffed rice / pori/ murmur - 4 cups
- onion - 1 big
- tomato - 1/2
- green chilies - 2
- carrot - 1
- green beans - 5
- turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- cilantro, enough for 1/4 cup
- peanuts - 2 tbsp
- high heat oil, for sauteing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and cut carrots into matchsticks.
- Snap and de-string the beans. Chop the beans finely.
- Chop onion and tomatoes finely. Also cut the green chillies into thick slices.
- Finely chop cilantro. You will need about 1/4th of a cup.
- Take the pori in a sufficiently big bowl and fill enough water to completely soak the pori. Add salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder. After 2 minutes, squeeze out the water from the pori and keep it aside.
- Marvel at the gunk left behind, in the water. Try not to think of the possible nutrients lost in the process. This step is optional :)
- In a wok or kadai, heat oil for sauteing. Add the green chilies and saute until the chiles have blistered. Remove and discard the chilies, with a slotted spoon.
- To the chili-infused oil, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splatter, add the peanuts.
- After a minute, add the onion and curry leaves. Let it turn translucent.
- Add carrots, beans, remaining turmeric powder and enough salt. Cook covered until carrots are cooked. This will take less than 10 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes. Before the tomatoes are completely cooked, add the pori.
- Taste and adjust salt. If needed, add ground pepper.
- Stir in the cilantro and mix to combine.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon on top.
This makes a great rainy day snack.